Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Food, clothing, and transportation

Eden Grace says this in answer to questions from a parent that I forwarded to her:

food safety -- this shouldn't be an issue. Most travelers experience a mild bout of "running stomach" as they adjust to the environment, but there are no other known issues. Kenyans only eat well-cooked food. You'll always have safe water to drink, and mosquito netting to sleep under. People should get a prescription for Cipro just in case they get a tummy bug that needs some encouragement to leave! Have I already given you my standard schpiel about malaria medication? If not, let me know and I'll tell you what I advise. It is useful to have your information straight before you go to your local travel clinic.

appropriate dress -- Normally we recommend that women wear skirts. In the case of teenagers, I think we can have a bit of leeway, but there are some definite no-no's: no shorts (for either gender), no tank tops, no cleavage, no midriff, no torn jeans, no tight jeans. In general they should dress more formally than they would in the US. Kenyans are always impeccably dressed. As visitors to another culture, your students will be held to a fairly high standard, and if they want to engage meaningfully with people, they shouldn't present themselves as slackers!

Other clothing tips -- it is hot during the day and cold at night, and often wet and muddy. Walking surfaces are uneven and slippery. Shoes should be sensible, not fancy. I normally tell people that Tevas are perfect, but I think health care workers are supposed to have closed toes. A rain jacket is a must, and a light polar fleece or sweater will be good for evenings. Clothes should be breathable and not too binding or tight.

ground transportation -- Assuming you arrive at night and will sleep in Nairobi, I will book you at the Presbyterian Guest House (http://presbyterianguesthouse.co.ke/about.html). I have a transport service in Nairobi that I've used a lot and trust completely, that would meet you at the airport, take you to the Guest House, pick you again in the morning and take you back to the airport. Then you would fly to Kisumu. I would meet you in Kisumu and accompany you for the whole rest of your trip (a treat for me!). If the group is indeed 8-10 people, what we'd do is hire a minivan with a driver who would stay with us for the whole time. That, plus my truck, should provide plenty of space for people and luggage.

4 comments:

  1. Peter, I'm going to email you about malaria medication. This is pretty important information. Can you post it to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CDC link on the side bar is broken. Try this one: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/kenya.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing about clothing -- skirts must cover the knee when seated.

    ReplyDelete